Union Station

This is from my Instagram story on Monday which was a very hot day. I decided being out and about to just sit in an air conditioned great hall at Union Station where I saw a line of Amtrak passengers getting ready to board their train. I really wanted to go with them which is the caption that you saw in this pic. The announced train that was boarding was my favorite train, Southwest Chief.

It brings to mind how often I have hung around Union Station. Especially during the period of time that I went to community college in downtown Chicago. I often came here to people watch or eat lunch or occasionally look at the magazines at the convenience stores in the station.

This place has changed so much in the ensuing 20 years. Where the passengers wait to board their trains has changes. Also where the passengers pick up their tickets - at least for those who are not computer savvy to print their own tickets at home - has changed. To board a bus to go into downtown Chicago has changed there's a CTA bus terminal across the street across Jackson Blvd. It's hard to believe this was the same station I began treating as a regular hangout years ago.

And just as back then, I still want to go on the adventures these travelers are about to begin!

Comments